Friday, October 10, 2008

The Rescue


It was summer and warm out, all the doors and windows where open. It was morning and with a deadline to meet I sat at the desk working on the computer, tap tap tap... I worked into the afternoon. All morning I was hearing this chirping, without giving it much thought I figured it was a vociferous bird. After a while however I am thinking what in the heck keeps making that incessant noise. During a afternoon break I could see Izzy the guard dog had her nose down at the crack of the front porch door. Curious to see what was up, I flung the door open; Izzy lept out taking a big snap at something tucked up tight to the house. Oh my god, as I pulled the dog off I could see it was a helpless naked little chipmonk laying flat on her back making these weak and pathetic little baby chipmonk chirps. I have no idea how in the world she ended up on the porch some five feet off the ground. Luckily Izzy did not seem to have hurt the poor thing. What am I going to do with a baby chipmonk I ask myself. I sat her up on the hand rail hoping by some miracle she would crawl back to where she came, and I went back to work. Forty-five minutes later I checked on her and she had not moved an inch. Bummer. I took her down to the woods edge thinking her momma would hear her an find her, then all would be well. I went back to work...

No comments: